Bed bugs are a common pest in the home that can be challenging to get rid of. One of the most effective ways to eliminate bed bugs is by using steam cleaners. Steam cleaning involves using hot, pressurized steam to kill bed bugs and their eggs.
The high temperature of the smoke is lethal to these pests while also penetrating deep into cracks and crevices where they may be hiding. However, not all steam cleaners are created equal when effectively eliminating bed bugs.
Types of Steam Cleaners
There are several types of steam cleaners available on the market, but not all of them are suitable for killing bed bugs. Let’s look at the types of steam cleaners that are best for eliminating these pesky insects.
Handheld Steam Cleaners
Because handheld steam cleaners are small and lightweight, they are easy to maneuver and use in small spaces. They are also less expensive than other types of steam cleaners.
However, they may not have a high enough temperature or pressure to kill bed bugs and their eggs effectively.
Cylinder Steam Cleaners
Cylinder steam cleaners are larger and more powerful than handheld ones. They produce higher temperatures and pressures, making them better equipped for killing bed bugs. Some models also come with attachments specifically designed for targeting bed bugs in hard-to-reach areas.
Vapor Steam Cleaners
Vapor steam cleaners are the most potent steam cleaner, producing extremely high temperatures and pressures. They also use less water than other models, making them a more environmentally friendly option.
However, they can be expensive and may only be necessary for eliminating bed bugs if you have a severe infestation.
Features to Consider
When looking for the best steam cleaner for bed bugs, there are a few key features to remember:
- Temperature: Bed bugs and their eggs are killed above 120°F (49°C). Look for a steam cleaner with a temperature of at least 160°F (71°C) to effectively eliminate them.
- Pressure: The higher the pressure, the more intense the steam. This is important for penetrating deep into cracks and crevices where bed bugs may hide.
- Attachments: Some steam cleaners contain attachments targeting specific areas or surfaces. Look for models with a small nozzle attachment for targeting bed bugs in tight spaces.
- Water tank capacity: If you have a large area to cover, you may want to consider a steam cleaner with a larger water tank capacity. This will prevent you from needing to refill the tank frequently.
- Warranty: Since steam cleaners can be an investment, it’s essential to look for models with a good contract in case of any defects or malfunctions.
There are a few other things to keep in mind when using a steam cleaner to get rid of bed bugs:
- Vacuum the area beforehand to remove any debris or eggs that may interfere with the steam’s effectiveness.
- Use a steamer with a continuous flow feature to avoid having to pause and wait for the moisture to build back up again.
- Be thorough and review all surfaces multiple times, especially areas where bed bugs are known to hide, such as mattresses, furniture seams, and baseboards.
In conclusion, when it comes to eliminating bed bugs, a steam cleaner can be a powerful weapon. By choosing the right type of steam cleaner with the necessary features and following some helpful tips, you can effectively eliminate these pests without using harsh chemicals or pesticides.
Always read the manufacturer’s instructions and follow proper safety precautions when using a steam cleaner. So, it is essential to choose the best steam cleaner for bed bugs based on your specific needs and budget. With some research, you can find the ideal steam cleaner to help you eliminate these unwanted guests.
Remember that while a steam cleaner may effectively kill bed bugs, it may not stop an infestation. It is best also to consult a professional pest control service for severe infestations or if you are unsure about using a steam cleaner on your own.